The sad story of George Stinney, Jr.

Yes, it is a sad and unjust story, which you’ve probably never heard about.

According to the “All That’s Interesting” website, “The youngest person in the United States to ever be put to death in the electric chair was an African-American 14-year-old named George Stinney, Jr. He was executed in the Deep South in 1944, in the midst of the Jim Crow era.”

“George Stinney Jr. lived in the segregated mill town of Alcolu, South Carolina, where white people and black people were separated by railroad tracks. Stinney’s family lived in a humble company house — until they were forced to leave when the young boy was accused of killing two white girls.”

“It took a jury of white men 10 minutes to find Stinney guilty — and it would take 70 years before Stinney was exonerated.”

“In March 1944, Betty June Binnicker, 11, and Mary Emma Thames, 7, were riding their bicycles in Alcolu looking for flowers. When they saw Stinney and his younger sister Aime during their journey, they stopped and asked if they knew where to find maypops, the yellow edible fruit of passionflowers.”

“That was reportedly the last time the girls were seen alive.”

“Binnicker and Thames, who were white, never made it home that day. Their disappearance prompted hundreds of Alcolu residents, including Stinney’s father, to come together and search for the missing girls. It wasn’t until the next day when their dead bodies were discovered in a soggy ditch.”

“When Dr. Asbury Cecil Bozard examined their bodies, there was no clear sign of a struggle, but both girls had met violent deaths involving multiple head injuries.”

“Thames had a hole boring straight through her forehead into her skull, along with a two-inch-long cut above her right eyebrow. Meanwhile, Binnicker had suffered at least seven blows to the head. It was later noted that the back of her skull was ‘nothing but a mass of crushed bones.’”

“Bozard concluded that Binnicker and Thames had wounds that were likely caused by a ‘round instrument about the size of the head of a hammer.’”

“When Clarendon County law enforcement officers learned from a witness that Binnicker and Thames were seen talking to Stinney, they went to his home. There, George Stinney, Jr. was promptly handcuffed and interrogated for hours in a small room without his parents, an attorney, or any witnesses.”

“Police claimed that Stinney confessed to murdering Binnicker and Thames.”

“An officer named H.S. Newman wrote in a handwritten statement, ‘I arrested a boy by the name of George Stinney. He then made a confession and told me where to find a piece of iron about 15 inches long. He said he put it in a ditch about six feet from the bicycle.’”

“Newman refused to reveal where Stinney was detained, as rumors of lynching spread throughout the town. Not even his parents knew where he was as his trial quickly approached. At the time, 14 was considered the age of responsibility — and Stinney was believed to be responsible for murder.”

“About a month after the girls’ deaths, George Stinney, Jr.’s trial began at a Clarendon County Courthouse. Court-appointed attorney Charles Plowden did ‘little to nothing’ to defend his client.”

“During the two-hour trial, Plowden failed to call witnesses to the stand or present any evidence that would cast doubt on the prosecution’s case. The most significant piece of evidence presented against Stinney was his alleged confession, but there was no written record of the teen admitting to the murders.”

“By the time of his trial, Stinney hadn’t seen his parents in weeks, and they were too afraid of getting attacked by a white mob to come to the courthouse.”

“Following a deliberation that took less than 10 minutes, the all-white jury found Stinney guilty of murder, with no recommendation for mercy.”

“On April 24, 1944, the teen was sentenced to die by electrocution.”

“George Stinney, Jr.’s execution was not without protest. In South Carolina, organizers for both white and black ministerial unions petitioned Gov. Olin Johnston to grant Stinney clemency based on his young age.”

“Meanwhile, hundreds of letters and telegrams poured into the governor’s office, begging him to show mercy to Stinney. Stinney’s supporters appealed with everything from the basic idea of fairness to the concept of Christian justice. But in the end, none of it was enough to save Stinney.”

“On June 16, 1944, George Stinney, Jr. walked into the execution chamber at the South Carolina State Penitentiary in Columbia with a Bible tucked under his arm.”

“Weighing in at just 95 pounds, he was dressed in a loose-fitting striped jumpsuit. Strapped into an adult-size electric chair, he was so small that the state electrician struggled to adjust an electrode to his right leg. A mask that was too big for him was placed over his face.”

“An assistant captain asked Stinney if he had any last words. Stinney replied, ‘No sir.’ The prison doctor prodded, ‘You don’t want to say anything about what you did?’ Again, Stinney replied, ‘No sir.’”

“When officials turned on the switch, 2,400 volts surged through Stinney’s body, causing the mask to slip off. His eyes were wide and teary, and saliva was emanating from his mouth for all the witnesses in the room to see. After two more jolts of electricity, it was over.”

“Stinney was pronounced dead shortly thereafter. In a span of just 83 days, the boy had been charged with murder, tried, convicted, and executed by the state.”

“It was noted that a man named Wilford ‘Johnny’ Hunter, who claimed to be Stinney’s cellmate, said that Stinney denied murdering Binnicker and Thames.”

“He said, ‘Johnny, I didn’t, didn’t do it,’ Hunter said. He said, ‘Why would they kill me for something I didn’t do?’”

The bottom line, in my mind, is that whether 14-year-old George Stinney, Jr. was guilty or not, he was definitely treated very poorly and unjustly, and no 14-year-old should ever be given a death sentence.   

George Stinney, Jr.’s death definitely marked one of the darker days in the state of South Carolina’s history, and one of the darker days in the history of these United States as well.

You can say this happened 76 years ago, or you can say this happened only 76 years ago.  In either case, I think it’s fair to say that our country has come a long way since then, and that we will not see another case like George Stinney, Jr.’s again.

If you’re not already “following” me and you liked my blog(s) today, please choose to “follow” me, which will keep you up to date on all of my latest posts, and/or leave me a comment.   I value your feedback and I’d love to hear from you!

Thank you, MrEricksonRules.

One thought on “The sad story of George Stinney, Jr.

Add yours

  1. I wonder if there was even a single non-democrat present on the police force, in the courtroom, on the jury, in the prison? Obviously there were outside protests, but in my experience of over 50+ years on this earth, I’ve never met a racist conservative.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: