Ooops…, I mean Sheila, and Corey, and Kamala!
Adam Shaw of Fox News reported that, “The question of slavery reparations for black Americans was the subject of a fiery and emotional House Judiciary Committee hearing Wednesday as Democrats called for measures to address America’s ‘original sin’ — while Republicans described such payments as an ‘injustice’ and ‘almost certainly unconstitutional.’”
“The Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties subcommittee held the hearing on H.R. 40 — a bill by Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee, D-Texas, to set up a commission to study and develop a response to the question of reparations for slavery.”
‘“The role of the federal government in supporting the institution of slavery and subsequent discrimination directed against blacks is an injustice that must be formally acknowledged and addressed,’ Jackson-Lee said.”
I believe slavery, injustice and discrimination have been addressed by our government, Ms. Jackson-Lee. I believe our government and our country has evolved quite well since the mid-1800s.
‘“I just simply ask: Why not and why not now?’ she [Jackson-Lee] said.
I would “simply” answer “Why?”
“Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., who is running for president and has introduced a version of Jackson-Lee’s bill in the Senate, said it is wrong to present the issue as one American writing a check for another, and called on lawmakers to deal with what he said is continued racism in America.”
“Citing racial disparities on issues such as health and education, he said America has a criminal justice system “that is indeed a form of new Jim Crow.”
‘“And so we as a nation have not yet truly acknowledged and grappled with racism and white supremacy that has tainted this country’s founding and continues to persist in those deep racial disparities and inequalities today,’ he said.”
“Meanwhile, former NFL player and conservative author Burgess Owens pointed to the Democratic Party as historically responsible for injustices against black Americans, from slavery to the Ku Klux Klan to the literacy rates for black Americans in Democratic states and cities.”
‘“How about the Democratic Party pay for all the misery brought to my race, and those who after they learn our history decide to stay there … and every white American, Republican or Democrat that feels guilty because of their white skin should need to pony up also — that way we can get past this reparation and recognize that this country has given us greatness,’ he said.”
Now there’s a proposal I could get behind!
“A Fox News poll in April found that [over] 60 percent of Americans oppose paying cash reparations to descendants of slaves, while just 32 percent support it.”
It seems that we have about 30%-35% of the people in this country who support just about any type of liberal craziness that comes down the road.
Let’s take a moment to get real about this whole reparations deal, now.
First…, let’s be clear…, reparations for African Americans regarding slavery is not going to happen.
And second…, all of these discussions about it are only disingenuous political theater aimed at some African-American voters who are looking to get something for nothing, disingenuous political theater aimed at creating an additional racial divide in our country, and generally a big waste of time.
That being said…, I have a few additional comments regarding the topic of “reparations:”
- No one who actually was a slave is still alive.
- On one who actually owned a slave is still alive.
- Looking at “African-Americans” like Senator Corey Booker or Senator Kamala Harris, who are lighter skinned than some white people with a moderate tan, makes me wonder if they would propose payments based on what percentage any person actually was African? If you were 20% African, would you get a check for 20% of a full reparation check?
- If someone, who was a slave, had 100 documented descendants, would that reparations check be divided by 100 first and reduced by the percentage of African descent noted above?
- And who would pay for these reparations? It certainly wouldn’t be fair for people who are descendants of people from the northern states, who didn’t have any slaves, would it?
- And what about the descendants of people from the northern states, who fought and died in the Civil War in order to free the slaves? Shouldn’t these families get a kick-back from the people receiving reparations as well? I mean, after all, we wouldn’t even be talking about reparations if the North hadn’t won the Civil War.
Just a few things to consider when pondering all of this craziness.
And what ever happened to The Congress dealing with our immigration problems, our country’s infrastructure, health care, and the ever increasing national debt, just to name a few important pending issues?
I guess we know where the priorities of the democrats lie…, and if you’re not an illegal immigrant or people looking for a hand-out, you’re out of luck.
NOTE: If you’re not already “following” me and you liked my blog(s) today, please “click” on the comment icon just to the right of the date at the bottom of this article. From there you can let me know you “like” my blog, leave a comment or click the “Follow” button which will keep you up to date on all of my latest posts.
Thank you, MrEricksonRules.